CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Saturday, May 24, 2008

We woke up and got ready for a day of exploring Sydney on our own. Jorge was nice enough to give us a map and help us figure out how to decide what stops to get off on the rail. Then we were on our way. We decided to try to walk to Bondi Junction where we can get on the rail to see if it was close enough to walk to, cause using a bus just added more money into our daily travels.
So there we were off on our journey with our little map, I am sure we looked just like little tourists! We only managed to get lost a few times, but just used it as an excuse to get to know the city. We did finally find Bondi Junction but then couldn’t find the building that the train stop was at. When we finally did find it, we took a long time trying to figure out how to get a ticket to the place we needed to go to because we needed to stop at multiple stops. The guy at the ticket booth was very amused, and after our many questions, we finally were able to get on the right train.


(Above: Me trying to figure out where we are)

We went first to the Center exit which is the one I get off for my work. We found my work with a little help from some australians. I got so excited and nervous when I realized I was actually here in Sydney to do my internship! I guess seeing the actual building made it feel real or something.

(This is the outside of the building I'll work in!)


On the way to my work we had walked by a Subway, and it had made us so happy because it was American. (Kind of pathetic when you go to Australia to get excited when you see American things). We decided Subway would be the cheapest meal option for us so we got sandwiches and ate them in a nearby park.


Then we were off to figure out where our church would be the next day. When we were walking past a bar, a drunk guy walked over to Wendy and I and asked us what the score was of the game the night before, when we told him that we weren’t sure, he said of course you know, you’re australian. It took a bit to convince him that we were actually american (cause he was that drunk, oh and as a side note he was Irish), but he kept offering to buy us a beer, and I told him that we didn’t drink, and he wouldn’t believe that either. Finally we just walked away, but he made sure to tell us that we were pretty and to F-off (only using the real word, which we’ve found to be a very common phrase here).

That was just another great adventure figuring out how to get to church. It was in the Connaught Building, which was a huge business building, so we kind of just didn’t get where we were supposed to go. Luckily we saw the missionaries outside the building so they were able to direct us where to go the next day. Then we made our way to Circular Quay (pronounced key), probably the most recognized places in Sydney. This is where the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbor Bridge are.


We got there in perfect timing because it was right as the sun went down so it was so pretty. That is when it really hit me that I was in Sydney! All of the pictures I’d seen before, I was actually there!

Then we went home and after making dinner I turned on the t.v, and Napoleon Dynamite was playing. Funny that we were in Australia, and the show made by a BYU student was playing on TV. After that we went to bed because we still hadn’t completely adjusted to this new time zone.





(P.S.This is a spider I walk by everyday on the way to work with massive webs, I'd show you but the camera doesn't really capture them great! This spider is like the size of my palm.)

1 comments:

Cara said...

How do you even sleep at night thinking about all the spiders you are eating (I think the average goes up if you live in Australia) ;) How was the first day of work??