CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 24, 2008

We are actually in AUSTRALIA!

Friday May 23, 2008


Yes...I did skip a day, that is because Thursday almost didn’t exist for us, at least only 8 hours of it did, and most of those were spent in uncomfortable sleep on the plane. Other than the ornery man we sat next to, the flight pretty much consisted of food, sleep, food, sleep, and then some more of food, and sleep! Literally! Oh... and my feet got so swollen that they were spilling over my shoes and this caused them to be very uncomfortable. After getting through customs, which was a breeze, we were supposed to find Michel, the guy we were renting our apartment from. When we found him he was with Jorge, our new flat-mate from Equador. When he saw the amount of our luggage I think he was a bit overwhelmed, and he had reason to be concerned because when we got to his car we quickly realized that there was no way that it was going to fit in a little convertible. We even tried putting the top down and stuffing everything on top of our laps. After realizing that wouldn’t work, Michel sent Jorge home in a cab with our luggage! We felt so bad, especially when we found out that gas had just hit $8 a gallon in Sydney.


I was standing outside the left side of the car and Michel told me to get in, I tried to make my way to what I thought was the passenger side until Michel quickly corrected me that I was in Australia honey, and there they drove on the right side of the road (I would call it more like the wrong side rather). My first embarrassing moment in Sydney! On the way home Michel drove us by the beach, which is literally minutes from our place, and it was amazing! Really! We eventually got to the apartment to find a cute little bedroom with bunk beds already made and Michel had even left us two cell phones we could load so we wouldn’t have to buy them. I don’t know why these people were treating us so good!



After Michel left Jorge kept making sure we were fine, and we began unpacking our luggage. Jorge left to go to school and we found a few spiders so we had to play terminator for a bit. Around 2 came home with food for us and told us he was going to give us a lesson on Sydney transportation so we were to go with him. We went to the place where is girlfriend Ely worked (Harvey Norman, a small version of Best Buy) to pick her up and then the two of them took us shopping for food at the grocery store at Bondi Junction, a shopping center near our flat. We got home around 5:30 and then honestly I can’t tell you much of what we did after that. Yes...I am sad to announce that jet lag did catch up with me. We were trying to do everything we could to stay awake, but it was so miserable that the minute we reached 9pm we got into bed and quickly fell asleep.
(we thought this was a big spider, but just you wait till you see some of the others we've seen)

(me playing terminator)

(we may look happy, but all we wanted to do was go to bed!)

2 comments:

Cara said...

Is that Terminator (as in Arnold) or an Exterminator? Classic Brighton ;-)

Jill Bowcutt said...

Sad. I didn't even catch the "terminator"-"exterminator" comment. I thought it sounded totally normal! I'm kinda dumb too. Anyway, it looks like you guys are going to have a blast! Good luck with the spiders!