CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

My first day of work!!! Well...of course the day started out with picking out my outfit. (To be honest I did that the night before I just didn’t want to sound like a freak) I was super nervous, so Wendy came on the train ride all the way with me to see me off. (I think she was just too nervous that I was gonna wet my pants on the way because I couldn’t control my nerves. That would be embarrassing). What a great friend!


(This is the only picture I got at my work my first day because I was too nervous to take anymore. )


I even made Wendy come up the elevator with me. Pathetic I know. When I came to the door it was dark and locked so I was left waiting for someone to come to open up. I hid in the bathroom for a bit and then casually made my way to the now lit office. I rang and a man, that I now know as Stewart, opened up and welcomed me in. Stewart is my co-worker. I am sure I will mention later, but it is a blessing that he works there. I walked into a cute little office and was shown where I would sit. Greg, the main designer wasn’t supposed to be in for an hour, so Stewart introduced me to the office. When Greg came it was interesting to see him. My idea of what he was going to be like was completely off. Not necessarily in a bad way, just off.



That first day was spent organizing and cleaning the office, making sample boards for a client, and meeting with suppliers. It was definitely interesting to just be expected to know what I was doing in something I’ve never actually worked in. Also it made it a wee bit of a challenge because so many small things that I hadn’t thought about are different in Australia. ie: the size of their paper isn’t 8 ½ x 11, or they use the metric system rather than the imperial, even their vocabulary for things are different. The hardest thing to is that there are so many things that I have learned in school that just aren’t applicable in Australia. Little things like the standard size of a door or wall, things that I know by heart, but all of a sudden I am somewhere where all those numbers are irrelevant. Not only are they just converted from inches to meters, but they are completely different sizes as well. Hopefully I can start grasping this whole metric thing soon.
Other than that my first day was a bit overwhelming but good. I don’t really know what to expect for the rest of my internship, but it is weird to be preparing for something so long, then when the day actually comes you feel like, "oh...is that it?"



I’ll update more later. But honestly after my first day I really didn’t know what the next 3 months were going to be like. I could only hope that I would get the good experience I was hoping for. I came home and cute little Wendy had bought some nutella and bananas so we could make crepes. She knows the way to win my heart. If only some cute Aussie would. :)

0 comments: